Derby CAMRA Country Pub of the Year 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015

Derby CAMRA 'Country Pub of the Year'
2011 - Winner
2012 - Winner
2013 - Winner
2014 - Runner up
2015 - Winner

Upcoming events

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'db87261_adm1nRO'@'' (using password: YES) in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db(): No such file or directory in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be established in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 9

Warning: mysql_query(): No such file or directory in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 18

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 18
Can't select entries from table royaloak_events.
SELECT * FROM royaloak_events WHERE eventdate >= '2019-01-18' OR eventenddate >= '2019-01-18' ORDER BY eventdate ASC LIMIT 10
No such file or directory
Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /nfs/c06/h01/mnt/87261/domains/ on line 20

More events »

Our history

The Royal Oak has been a working pub since the 18th century, for nearly all that time family-run.

The current owner, Olive Wilson, and her family have run the pub since 1953 and owned it outright since 1989, and CAMRA - the Campaign for Real Ale - believe Olive may be the longest serving licensee in the country.


William Peat, a weaver from the village of Ockbrook, bought the house and turned it into a public house in 1762 and it remained in the Peat family for 130 years.

William Peat choose the name 'Royal Oak' as it commemorated the flight of King Charles I when he hid in an oak tree to avoid Cromwell's soldiers, but that was in 1651 and in the County of Shropshire. However it was a good strong royal name.


During the Peat's family ownership of the Royal Oak, The Ockbrook Male Friendly Society was established in 1814 and held their annual feast day on Whit Tuesday.


In 1898 the Peat family sold the business to Offilers Brewery for £3920.


The first Landlord under Offilers was William Lambert. In 1910, during his tenancy, a new clubroom was built where annual dinners were held for the newly formed 'Ockbrook Shaving and Swearing Club'


During the first World War the Clubroom was home to German Prisoners.

The Lamberts were followed by the Dolman Family, then the Simms Family.


Lantern with the Bass logo on itIn 1953, Coronation year of Queen Elizabeth II, Olive Wilson took over the licence at the Royal Oak. Offilers Brewery were still the owners, but they sold out to Charrington in 1965, and subsequently merged with Bass in 1967. More recently Bass have been taken over by Coors.

1989 - present

The Wilson family bought the Royal Oak in 1989, making it a free-house.